Tuesday, December 25, 2007

My Little Ghost's Favorite Albums, Pt. II

Continued from Part I of My Little Ghost Friend's Favorite Albums of 2007, which listed numbers 1-10 (so much for suspense, right?), I give you numbers 11-20. Enjoy, bash, etc. And just remember - I've still got another 30 albums to get through, in addition to a list of albums I haven't listened to/haven't listened to enough to rank (gaah, how did I not listen to 2007's White Stripes, Son Volt, Tullycraft, Radiohead, Twilight Sad, Low, etc. albums in time?!?). How's that for pre-emptive defensiveness?


#11) Pants Yell! - Alison Statton
This album is so endearing... This latest Pants Yell! album is more than just cute, though.
"Tried To Be Good" [MP3]


#12) Band of Horses - Cease To Begin
Not quite sure why so many people complained so much about this album this year... I have to say, I honestly love every track on the record.
"Is There A Ghost?" [MP3]


#13) Club 8 - The Boy Who Fell From Heaven
Swedish indiepop... Hard to go wrong, especially when it's an album as pretty as Club 8's latest. Gorgeous and immediately enchanting.
"Jesus, Walk With Me" [MP3]

#14) Bishop Allen - The Broken String
So it wasn't that surprising, since we'd heard most of the tracks on EPs last year... I have to say, that doesn't bother me all that much. Aside from the strangely piano-devoid recording of "Corazon," the songs, to me, seem to have all improved a lot from their already wonderful EP forms. Besides, the EPs prepared us BA fans for the change in the band's sound from its first album, 2003's Charm School.
"The Monitor" [MP3]

#15) Marissa Nadler - Songs III: Bird on the Water
Any description I could write would probably make her music sound really conventional and boring... But please, please, please, just listen. She's worth it.
"Diamond Heart" [MP3]

#16) Apples in Stereo - New Magnetic Wonder
The Apples have still got it! And I'm especially fond of the fuzzy beauty that is "Sunndal Song," featuring vocals by Hilarie, who departed from the band after they made this record.
"Sunndal Song" [MP3]

#17) Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha
I didn't think I liked this album much when I first heard it. I was wrong. And it's just not fair one man can whistle like that. I cannot whistle at all.
"The Fiery Crash" [MP3]

#18) Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam
I had more trouble getting into this one than I did Person Pitch, but it still ranks pretty high. Sounds different each time I listen to it.
"Peacebone" [MP3]

#19) The Crayon Fields - Animal Bells
So it's not cheating is this 2006 Australian pop masterpiece was released here in '07, is it? No? Didn't think so.
"Living So Well" [MP3]

#20) Albert Hammond, Jr. - Yours To Keep
Something this simplistic shouldn't be so good. All the tracks are meant to be sung along with. Mr. Casablancas, watch out.
"Call an Ambulance" [MP3]

3 comments:

KP said...

I liked the Andrew Bird album more than I had expected to also. I should drag that one out again.

Dennis said...

Nice list Ginny, some nice choices. I love that Pants Yell! album so much...

Are you aware btw that your MP3-links in this post all direct to your homepage instead of to an actual song?

Ginny said...

I was aware, but thanks for reminding me to fix that!