Saturday, July 14, 2007

Jim Bryson: Where The Bungalows Roam


While Ottawa-based folk singer Jim Bryson hasn’t been nominated for that much blogged-about Polaris Music Prize (if I had a say in the matter, the “dark horse” Besnard Lakes would be the victor) this year, it isn’t for a lack of talent. In fact, Where the Bungalows Roam (Kelp Records) has grown on me, and I’ve found myself coming back to it time and time again since its late April release. I am horrible at making adequate comparisons, but Bryson’s style of melancholic folk music reminds me a bit of M Ward. No? Well,maybe a less sonic-sounding Grandaddy, circa Sumday. Did I mention that I'm no good with comparisons? Shoot. Anyways, Bryson's got a knack for singing songs that sound simultaneously sad and hopeful, happy and gloomy.

Stumbling across Bryson's cover of "Swingin' Party" was amazingly good fortune, since I've been on a Replacements/Paul Westerberg kick as of late, and Bryson does the song justice. Though I can't quite imagine him singing "Bastards of Young" or "Alex Chilton" at this point.

P.S. - Yes, that is TV's Dr. Phil standing next to Mr. Bryson. No, I don't know why. I don't ask questions.

TOUR DATES:
August 4 - Blue Skies Festival (Clarendon, ON)
August 5 - Blue Skies Festival (Clarendon, ON)
August 10 - Wolfe Island Music Fest (Wolfe Island, ON)

LISTEN:
"If By The Bridge" [MP3]
"Pissing On Everything [MP3]
"Swinging Party" (Replacements cover) [MP3]

ON THE WEB:
Bryson's website
The album's website

No comments: