Sunday, August 5, 2007

Album Of The Week: Caitlin Cary's I'm Staying Out

If you're not familiar with Caitlin Cary's work outside of her tenure in Whiskeytown (her 1990s band with Ryan Adams, among others), get thee to a record store (and if you're not familiar with Whiskeytown, I don't know what to say to you but LISTEN). Her albums have been consistently strong, proving that Whiskeytown's success wasn't all about Adams, though they've unfortunately slipped pretty much completely beneath the radar. I'm Staying Out (2003) is more of a traditional country album (which normally woudn't be my thing), and the beautifully written "Sleepin' in on Sunday" sets its tone -- a bittersweet ode to the quiet and fleeting moments of relaxation and solace found in modern fast-paced life. This is the musical equivalent of a security blanket. And I mean this in the best way possible. I'd take this baby anywhere.

LISTEN:
"Sleepin' in on Sunday [MP3]

ON THE WEB:
Caitlin Cary's website
Caitlin Cary's MySpace

No comments: